The college was established in July 1970 to commemorate the 5th birth Centenary of Guru Nanak Dev ji. Efforts however were initiated in 1969 with a primary objective of opening the doors of higher Education to the girls living in this small town and the rural interior. The college is affiliated to GNDU, Amritsar. To begin with, it was purely an Arts Degree College, in response to the aspirations of the people of the area it broadly aimed at the economic, social and cultural growth of the Nation. But to cater the needs of the changing times, Commerce, Computer Science and Medical streams were added later on. With the deep-founded vision and missionary efforts of S. Mehar Singh Bassi the Institute started M.A.Pol.Sci. and M.A Punjabi in 1980.

The Present Campus is spread over 6 acres of land. S.Kehar Singh Ji, took keen interest in the matter and managed to fetch land on lease from the Management Committee of Gurudwara Baba Sang Dhesian. The Foundation Stone of the college was laid on 15th of December 1969 by S.Mohan Singh Toor, the State Minister of Punjab.

The college has a magnificent campus located in a pollution free healthy atmosphere. It has an impressive building and specious lawns and play grounds. The building houses an Administrative Block, Commerce Block, Post-Graduate Block ,Girls Hostel, Spacious library,well equipped Computer Labs, Home Science Lab, Language Lab, and Canteen, Seminar hall with audio visual facility, facility for open air stage. The college has a Multipurpose Hall with a seating capacity of about 1000 students.